It’s been nearly a year since I began listening to The Welcome Wagon and saw them at The Chapel, a local church turned venue. Asthmatic Kitty announced today that the duo will be releasing a new album on June 12th called Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices, their first album in almost four years. Check out the video for the new single “Would You Come and See Me In New York”.
This year I made it to a point to go to a lot of shows. Some were awful, most were good, but there are a few that really stood out. Here are my nine favorites from this year:
1. Bon Iver- My thoughts on the show
2. My Brightest Diamond- My thoughts on the show
3. St. Vincent- My thoughts on the show
4. Son Lux- My thoughts on the show
5. The Welcome Wagon- My thoughts on the show
6. Kopecky Family Band- My thoughts on the show
7. The Civil Wars- My thoughts on the show
8. Lord Huron- I saw these guys back in April opening for Rural Alberta Advantage, and I cannot wait to see them again. The already small set was cut short due to technical difficulties, but the songs they did get to play pulled me into their folksy beach tunes right away.
Here are three kickin’ websites if you’re looking for some new music suggestions similar to music you already like. For all three of these I searched for music similar to Sufjan Stevens, and they just about covered all of my favorite bands/musicians at least once. I love visual/graphic/interactive sites like this- they’re so useful. If you’re pretty into music, you’ll probably be familiar with most of the musicians that surround your favorite artist, but if not, this is a sweet way to find out about some new people!
(p.s.- sorry if these screenshots are a bit difficult to see well!)